Eric Anholt (anholt) wrote,
Eric Anholt
anholt

This week in vc4 (2016-12-05): SDTV, 3DMMES, HDMI audio, DSI

The Raspberry Pi Foundation recently started contracting with Free Electrons to give me some support on the display side of the stack.  Last week I got to review and release their first big piece of work: Boris Brezillon's code for SDTV support.  I had suggested that we use this as the first project because it should have been small and self contained.  It ended up that we had some clock bugs Boris had to fix, and a bug in my core VC4 CRTC code, but he got a working patch series together shockingly quickly.  He did one respin for a couple more fixes once I had tested it, and it's now out on the list waiting for devicetree maintainer review.  If nothing goes wrong, we should have composite out support in 4.11 (we're probably a week late for 4.10).

On my side, I spent some more time on HDMI audio and the DSI panel.  On the audio side, I'm now emitting the GCP packet for audio mute appropriately (I think), and with some more clocking fixes it's now accepting the audio data at the expected rate.  On the DSI front, I fixed a bit of sequencing and added debugfs for the registers like we have in our other encoders.  There's still no actual audio coming out of HDMI, and only white coming out of the panel.

The DSI situation is making me wish for someone else's panel that I could attach to the connector, so I could see if my bugs are in the Atmel bridge programming or in the DSI driver.

I did some more analysis of 3DMMES's shaders, and improved our code generation, for wins of 0.4%, 1.9%, 1.2%, 2.6%, and 1.2%.  I also experimented with changing the UBO (indirect addressed uniform array) upload path, which showed no effect.  3DMMES's uniform arrays are tiny, though, so it may be a win in some other app later.

I also got a couple of new patches from Jonas Pfeil.  I went through his thread switch delay slots patch, which is pretty close to ready.  He has a similar patch for branching delay slots, though apparently that one isn't showing wins yet in things he's tested.  Perhaps most exciting, though, is that he went and implemented an idea I had dropped on github: replacing our shadow copies of raster textures with a bunch of math in the shader and using general memory loads.  This could potentially fix X performance without a compositor, which we otherwise really don't have a workaround for other than "use a compositor."  It could also improve GL-in-a-window performance: right now all of our DRI surfaces are raster format, because we want to be able to get full screen pageflipping, but that means we do the shadow copy if they aren't fullscreen.  Hopefully this week I'll get a chance to test and review it.
Tags: vc4
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 2 comments